Child dies after choking on a grape

By  | 

LAREDO, Texas (KGNS) - It's a parent's worst nightmare, having your child choke on a piece of food.

Choking is one of the leading causes of death for children three and under, unfortunately a Laredo family is now part of the statistic.

The incident happened on Monday while a three-year-old and one of his family members were watching a movie and eating fruit.

The incident took place on the 2100 block of Okane where according to police, a member of the child's family was unsuccessful in dislodging the grape from the boy's throat and was trying to administer CPR on him.

The child was taken to a San Antonio hospital where he died three days later.

Police say CPR is just a simple movement and how those few seconds can mean the difference between life and death.

A local mother of a three-year-old says she will continue to take preventative measures to not be faced with a similar situation.

The average CPR course takes about three hours to complete and can make a difference between a life and death situation.

Police have identified the three-year-old boy who died after choking his name was Zoe Lamar Castillo.



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus