Unlikely hero alerts family to house fire

LAREDO, TX (KGNS) - Last month an area family lost their home after an AC unit caught fire.

Inside the home, a young lady and her disabled grandfather were alerted to the fire by the family pet.

The two immediately sprang into action, trying to contain the flames but unfortunately they were too late. The fire had already spread throughout the home.

Luckily, no one was injured in the incident.

Manuela Valles Martinez says her daughter's cat is the one who woke her up. The cat was in the room where the AC exploded.

To help the family rebuild after their loss, you can contribute to their go fund me page listed as “Lost Home But Not Hope” or you can call them at 229-0649.