U.S. Army suspends discharges of immigrant recruits for now

WASHINGTON, D.C. (AP) - The U.S. Army has reportedly stopped discharging immigrant recruits who enlisted seeking a path to citizenship for the time being.

A memo that was shared with the Associated Press spells out order to high-ranking army officials to stop processing discharges of men and women who enlisted in the Special Immigrant Program as of July.

At this time it is not clear how many recruits were impacted by the action and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests from the Associated Press for comment.

Just last month, the Pentagon said that there had been no specific policy change and that background checks were ongoing.

Margaret Stock, an Alaska-based immigration attorney says the memo proves the policy did exist.

Recruits and reservists reached Wednesday said their discharges were still in place as far as they knew.