Boy who swallowed battery headed for surgery

By: Matt McGovern Email
By: Matt McGovern Email

CINCINATTI, OHIO (WLWT) - Cincinnati Children’s Hospital doctors are looking to give a young boy his voice back after an incident years ago that robbed him of the ability to talk, breathe and eat on his own.

It has been almost four years since Emmett Rauch, 4, of Phoenix, swallowed a button battery from a remote, which burned a hole in his esophagus.

The battery sat lodged there for three days before an X-ray revealed the problem.

Emmett's mother wanted to share his story to prevent accidents like his from happening to other children.

The Arizona boy will have surgery Wednesday at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital to rebuild his throat.

The doctors at Children’s Hospital will recreate an esophagus for Emmett, which they believe will be a lifelong solution.

Emmett's mother said it was also a beautiful thought knowing that she was sharing his story to bring about awareness of the dangers of button batteries and children.

According to the National Capital Poison Center, Emmett’s case is one of about 3,500 reported annually.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/boy-to-have-surgery-on-esophagus-after-battery-burns-hole-in-throat/27741396#ixzz3Bc9Hl82x


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
KGNS-TV 120 W. Del Mar Blvd., Laredo, TX 78041 Fax: 956-267-8649 News Hotline: 956-723-5161 956.727.8888 email8@pro8news.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 272903281 - kgns.tv/a?a=272903281