UPDATE: Second death confirmed at Webb County Jail in last month

By  | 

LAREDO, TEXAS (KGNS) - A second Webb County inmate death is added to the list of incidents at the Webb County Jail.

The recent death of detainee, 30-year-old Mario Alberto Andrade is the second death the Webb County Jail has seen this month.

Preliminary investigations are still ongoing and indicate no foul play was involved.

Suicide was also ruled out.

As far what the official cause could be, it will take some time to determine.

That's what a representative had to say earlier Monday afternoon.

"We know it could've been a combination of several things. One could've drugs he ingested prior, we're not certain. Another, could've been his on secreation. Like I said, we don't have that information yet until we get the autopsy report", said Chief Federico Garza.

It is believed Andrade died of his own gastric secretions, no word yet what that means specifically.

A full autopsy has been ordered for the ongoing investigation.

The first death of an inmate this month was a 52-year-old inmate.
That was on Friday November 6th.

He had been admitted to the jail the day prior with an existing medical condition.

His exact medical emergency is not released and is protected by federal HIPAA Law.

And a 34-year-old inmate was admitted to the hospital after attempting suicide November 15th.

Sheriff's officials also said they went above and beyond state policy to ensure the inmate's safety.

Below is the original text for this story:

There has been a second death this month at the Webb County Jail.

The Webb County Sheriff's Office has confirmed this, saying it happened Sunday night.

Correctional officers administered emergency medical procedures on a non-responsive detainee, who was later identified as Mario Alberto Andrade, 30.

Andrade was taken to the Laredo Medical Center, and was pronounced dead.

Andrade was admitted to the Webb County Jail following his arrest on Friday, November 20, for burglary of a building.

A preliminary investigation indicated no foul play was involved, nor did Andrade commit suicide.

A full autopsy has been ordered, and the investigation continues.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus