LAREDO, TEXAS (City of Laredo) - City of Laredo Mayor Raul G. Salinas is on a visit to the city that is Laredo’s namesake: Laredo, Cantabria, Spain, at the invitation of Mayor Angel Vega Madrazo, for a re-affirmation of the Sister Cities Agreement, as well as to be a part of the week-long celebration of Spain’s battle for independence.
“This is a wonderful opportunity for Laredo to not only strengthen its relationship with our namesake and its government, but also, to find opportunities to increase dialogue, as well as cultural and business exchange,” said Mayor Salinas.
Aside from visiting some of the historic sites of this northern city by the sea, Mayor Salinas will also visit the city of Santander, the capital of Cantabria, Spain.
Highlights of his trip will include:
- Ratify the Sister Cities Agreement established in 1978
- Attend the reception of Sister Cities Mayors and Cantabria officials
- View the “Parque Los Tres Laredos” a park where each Laredo – Spain, U.S.A., and Mexico – have a separate area for each city
- Tour of the Fuerte del Rastrillar, the location of the last great battle of the Spanish Civil War
- Attend a concert of the Laredo Choir celebrating the Sister Cities
- Hear a presentation of the book, “Laredo [Spain] in the Discovery and Conquering of the New World,” by Dr. D. Baldomero Brígido Gabiola, Director of the Municipal Archives (City Secretary)
- Attend official government breakfast meetings
Mayor Salinas is only the second mayor from the City of Laredo, Texas to visit Laredo, Cantabria, Spain. Mayor Aldo Tatangelo visited in 1979.