Victim's family speaks out on Victor Palomo's arrest

By  | 

LAREDO,Texas(KGNS)- It was an emotional day for Edgar Garcia, the brother of Alberto Garcia whose life was tragically cut short back in 2009.

The suspect, Victor Manuel Palomo had evaded justice during a 2011 trial as he fled to Mexico.

Webb County District Attorney Isidro Alaniz says Palomo had already been arrested by Mexican authorities back in 2015 in San Nicolas, a municipality close to Monterrey.

Once Palomo was arrested, authorities informed the Garcia Family that Palomo had been apprehended and he was on his way back to Laredo, only to be disappointed when he escaped.

Edgar Garcia says, "I could go days just thinking, is this ever going to happen? And then there was days where I felt very confident that it was going to happen. I knew it was going to happen. I knew he was going to get caught at some point, sooner or later."

Finally on Thursday, October 11th Palomo was captured.

Law enforcement in Nuevo Laredo deported Palomo from Nuevo Laredo and turned him over to authorities in the United States.

Garcia says although his brother’s murder has been brought to justice, his family will always miss their loved one.

Garcia says, "I'm not happy, but I'm satisfied. It makes me feel a little bit more calm for my daily life. I feel that my parents are going to be a little bit satisfied as well. Even though the day came, that's not going to bring my brother back at all."

Below is the original text from this story:

After seven years of being on the run from the law, a convicted murder is now behind bars, now authorities are speaking out about his capture.

Victor Manuel Palomo had been sentenced to 99 years in prison for murder back in July of 2011.

Palomo had been on trial for the shooting death of Alberto Garcia back in May of 2009.

During his trial, he fled the country and even though he was later convicted, authorities were not able to locate him.

In a combined effort with multiple law enforcement agencies, Palomo was captured in Nuevo Laredo on Thursday.

The agencies that were involved in the capture were the U.S. Marshals Service, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the Webb County Sheriff’s Office and the Laredo Police Department.

Emmanuel Diaz with the Laredo Police Department says, “One thing we do want to stress to the public is that we with the Laredo Police Department, we do work tirelessly and effortlessly to be able to give satisfaction to the victims that justice was served. We can honestly say that with the capture of Palomo that justice was in fact served.”

Palomo was taken to the Webb County Jail on Thursday and will now serve his 99 year sentenced for murder and 20 years for aggravated assault.

Below is the original text from this story:

A convicted murderer is behind bars after having spent the last seven years on the run.

Victor Manuel Palomo had been sentenced to 99 years in prison for murder back in July of 2011.

He had been on trial for the shooting death of Alberto Garcia back in May of 2009.

A second person had also been shot in that incident.

Palomo had fled during the trial and was convicted in his absence.

The US Marshals had placed him on their most wanted list and launched a manhunt.

Palomo was captured in Nuevo Laredo as part of a collaboration with several law enforcement agencies.

He was returned to the US and booked at the Webb County Jail.